That's the reason why you need to know the hair structure.
As a hairdresser in a salon, when a client with some hair knowledge asks you something about the hair, are you only able to use some common words to answer her? But when she keeps asking, shifting the topic seems the only way to avoid the awkwardness?
As sales, do you only say that the hair is virgin hair, good quality hair but don't know its true meaning? If you can solve it with more professional and specific knowledge, isn't it better than others?
As a hair buyer, the factories always claim their hair is the best, do you trust them easily and get cheated? Some buyers who have some experiences so that they can distinguish between good and bad through some methods. But with the development of current technology, the technology of doping and even cloning makes the hair very hard to tell if it's mixed with some bad hair.
Therefore, learning the basics of the entire hair is the best way to give yourself a clear understanding of the structure of the entire hair, and it is the key to solving the problem.
This article will use relatively simple sentences to describe the structure of hair, and will pick out some of the important content for hairdressers, sales and buyers so that you can use the sentences directly to pro yourself.
OK, let’s begin.
What is the hair shaft?
(The keratinized portion of a hair that extends from a hair follicle beyond the surface of the epidermis. )
1. The hair shaft is composed of proteins.
What is cuticle and what functions it has?
1. It’s composed of hard and transparent fish-like scales
2. Surrounds the cortex, and every single hair has normally 7 to 9 levels of fish-like scales in the sequential overlap.
3. The hair scales have the function of elasticity and protection, providing good protection to the beautiful and soft hair, otherwise, it will damage the function of the epidermis.
4. If the epidermis is damaged, then the hair will split; letting the hair shaft make the protection.
What is Cortex and what functions it has?
1. Being in the middle layer of the hairline, it’s the most important layer of hair.
2. It contains the pigments of the natural hair, having black color, brown color, red color, and blonde color. The gray (white) color hair is because only a part has pigments or it doesn’t have pigments at all.
3. The Cortex also determines hair quality, characteristics, and elasticity.
What is Medulla and what functions it has?
1. it's in the most inner layer of the hairline, it has no material use.
2. It is possible to see it only in thicker hairs, in thinner hairs frequently does not exist.
What is the hair root?
(The part of a hair that is embedded in the hair follicle, its lower succulent extremity capping the dermal papilla pili in the deep bulbous portion of the follicle.)
There are two things you need to know about hair root are hair follicles and hair papilla.
What are hair follicles and what functions it has?
1. The hair follicles are the place where the hair grows and receives the nutrients.
2. The hair grows periodically, depending on the growth time of the hair follicles.
3. Every month the hair follicles grow 1.3cm, which also means that the hair also grows 1.3cm per month.
4. Each person’s constitution, hormone growth, and other physical factors or changes in various conditions can cause follicle atrophy.
5. The follicles inside the skin are not vertical, but they have an inclination, so the hair follicles can grow in a certain direction.
What is hair papilla and what functions it has?
1. The hair papilla is located in the hair follicles most inner part, with a conical protrusion.
2. The hair papilla is connected in the lower part to the blood vessels; to the blood supply system, providing the nutrients and taking charge of the hair growth.
3. The hair papilla has a nervous system.
Ⅲ.Relationship between hair and other tissues
1. Every hair follicle has one or several Oil glands.
2. Oil glands secrete (release) oil; the number of Oil glands has a great influence on the hair.
3. If there’s a lot of Oil glands, the hair will be oily/greasy; if the Oil glands are average, then the hair will be in the middle; if there are few glands, then the hair will be dry.
4. If there’s enough oil content, the hair will appear beautiful; if there’s less, the hair will be dry.
5. The oil tends to collect dirt and bacteria, so it needs to wash the hair frequently.
1. Under the hair follicle, there is an involuntary muscle.
2. When the human body feels scared or cold, this muscle will make the hair stand upright, which is known as goose-flesh.
3. Eyelashes and eyebrows lack this involuntary muscle.
At the end of the article, I think you have made yourself more professional by looking through it.
May I present you a reliable, professional human hair extensions manufacturer- Jiffyhair.
As the only supplier for the top3 hair brands in Europe which use our hair extensions to take part in the show, exhibitions, and movie taking, Jiffyhair specializes in tape-in hair extensions(with many new types hot-selling in Instagram), pre-bonded hair extensions, clip-in hair extensions, balayage colors hair extensions, etc...